Is Antifreeze poisonous? Is it Flammable? You Betcha
Are you wondering whether the coolant fluid is flammable? Although this substance is referred to as a coolant fluid, it is indeed very flammable. This should not be surprising in spite of the fact that the coolant fluid is a water-based product in addition to its ‘cool’ name.
This is due to the fact that the fluid has a high content of glycol, which will catch fire when exposed to high temperatures, the water content notwithstanding.
Scientific studies have been conducted to determine the flammability of coolant. Forensic scientists took pure coolant fluid and mixed it with equal parts of water to determine how flammable it could still be.
Remember that the coolant is usually mixed with fifty per cent of water before being added into vehicles under normal circumstance. In colder climates, even more coolant is used, which may be between sixty and seventy per cent.
The forensic scientists determined that the mixed coolant fluid could still erupt in flames when it was exposed to some source of fluid. The same would also happen if the temperature around the fluid was relatively high. According to the tests, the threshold was a temperature of between 650 and 750 degrees Fahrenheit.
This means that you should handle coolant fluid with care.
Is Coolant Fluid Poisonous?
If you are wondering whether the coolant fluid is poisonous, then the straight answer is that it is indeed toxic. Antifreeze or coolant fluid is very poisonous to both animals and human beings.
Ingesting the coolant fluid can even lead to death.
The antifreeze may cause a variety of complications in the body. For example, the ethylene glycol it contains is quite harmful to the kidneys and can make these important organs fail, which may lead to death if not taken care of quickly. It takes just a matter of hours for the victim to die.
What makes coolant fluid even more dangerous is the fact that very little quantities have such a lethal effect. For instance, when either a cat or dog licks just about one teaspoon of antifreeze, it will die unless it is given the required antidote as quickly as possible.
In addition, this highly toxic fluid has an invitingly sweet smell that will attract different things, including pets and children. This means that you should take measures to ensure that both pets and kids can not reach it.
Read More @ http://www.suite101.com/content/how-dangerous-is-engine-coolant-a349214