With the onset of summer your vehicle would require to have the following checks carried out.
- Have the vehicle undercarriage serviced and washed thoroughly.
- Do not spray oil/brake oil or other lubricants to the under-chassis. Brake oil has a composition that would react with the paint and also will damage normal rubber bushings. Also lubricants on the under-chassis will pickup a lot of dust and grime, which would defeat the very purpose of servicing the vehicle.
- With the onset of summer your vehicle's cooling system requires attention. With ambient temperatures reaching 40degrees plus you would need to ensure that the radiator, hose pipes, drive-belts, thermostatic fans are all in good working condition and they do their job of keeping the vehicle in a motorable condition.
- To get the radiator serviced once in two years would be a good idea. As the mineral content of water in different areas differs when the same gets heated up it starts to deposit salts etc. On to the sides of the radiator, and other contact areas. This reduces the space for the coolant to flow. Also the cooling area becomes less, and the thermostat valve present in the cooling system jams resulting in a failure. An entire checkup of the system prior to the onset of the summer season would help prevent any such failure. Source: current.com You need to keep in mind that an overheated engine could result in an engine seizure, which would be an expensive proposition to repair.
- With the basic cooling system looked at the next step would be to check the air conditioning system and to ensure all the operating equipment is in good working condition. This would be necessary for your own comfort while travelling. As most large cities have traffic jams the air conditioning has now become a requirement and not a luxury. To have the air conditioning system serviced once in two years would be a good idea to ensure that the performance of the A/C is satisfactory.
- The air cleaner element would require attention on a regular basis in the summer season as due to the dry weather lot of dust would be generated and the same would be sucked in at the time when the vehicle is operational. If the air cleaner element were kept clean it would be easier for the vehicle to operate. The performance of the vehicle would be drop if the air cleaner were choked.
- Source: http://www.indiacar.com/pmp_tips/seasonal_Summer.htm