|Do-It-Yourself - Car Maintainence - Car Servicing
Checklist to do DIY Car servicing.
Every 10,000 kms
• Mobil 1 – Change engine oil & oil filter.
• Check and top-up all fluids (coolant, power steering, brake, transmission etc.).
• Clean K&N air filter (best done at 7,500 km mark).
• Wheel rotation, balancing & alignment. Check condition (include spare wheel).
• Check and adjust all belts. Replace if any are cracked / worn out.
• Check all hose pipes. Replace if any are cracked / worn out.
• Check wiper blades & adjust washer nozzles.
• Check all lights.
• Check / service battery.
• Complete cleaning and waxing of the car.
Annually OR Every 20,000 kms
ALL FROM STEP ONE, PLUS:
• Radiator flush & engine coolant change.
• Replace wiper blades.
• Replace fuel filter.
• Check and clean brakes.
• Check brake hoses and lines.
• Check spark plugs.
• Check engine idle settings (speed & CO).
• Check clutch release arm travel.
• Check suspension (include dampers, bushings, tie-rod ends etc.).
• Check steering gearbox & boots.
• Check driveshaft boots.
Every Two years / 30,000 kms
• Change transmission / gear / differential oil. Some 4x4’s may require this on an annual basis.
• Brake line bleeding and fluid change.
• Change power steering fluid.
• Replace spark plugs.
• Clean fuel injectors.
• Clean / adjust throttle body.
• Check distributor cap, roter and ignition wiring.
• Check PCV valve.
• Check ignition timing.
• Check valve clearance and adjustment
• Complete air-con service.
• Check brake pads. Replacement may be necessary, especially for German cars.
Every 60,000 kms
• Change timing belt / balancer. Water pump replacement recommended.
• Revamp suspension (some cars may require this earlier).
• Change all drive belts.
• Change all hose pipes.
• Change K&N air filter?
• Check status of clutch plate and related parts.
• Check Tappet clearance. This is car specific, so best to check your owners manual for when / if tappet settings are required.
• It's a good idea to get your alternator & starter serviced every 5 - 6 years. Lucas has some company-owned outlets which would be of help.
Source: Team BHP Forum at: